Student Complaint Policy

The John Marshall Law School is committed to treating its students fairly and with respect, so the law school has adopted the following policies and procedures to resolve issues and complaints.

Academic Concerns

Students should first consult the Student Handbook for information that may address their concerns. Students are also encouraged to contact their professors to seek advice about any academic concerns. If a student is unable to resolve an issue or complaint with the professor, the student should send a written complaint to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs or the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs. You may send your complaint via email or typed letter. Examples of complaints addressed by this process include, but are not limited to, grade disputes, academic standing issues, and disputes with professors. These procedures do not apply to decisions made under the Student Code of Conduct.

Complaints Involving the Student Code of Conduct

Any member of the faculty, administration, staff, or student body may initiate a discipline proceeding against a student or former student by filing a charge with the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs. The charge shall identify the parties involved in the complaint and state in plain language and with reasonable particularity the date, place, and relevant facts. If possible, the student should also identify the standard of conduct which has been violated. This charge can be sent via email or typed letter.

The Student Code of Conduct and the procedures for filing a complaint are detailed in the Student Handbook.

Complaints Related to the Protection from Discrimination & Harassment Policy

Any student, employee, or faculty member may submit a complaint or report a violation of this policy by:

  1. Calling the John Marshall Harassment Prevention Hotline at 312.427.2737 ext. 506,
  2. Contacting the Associate Dean for Admission & Student Affairs, or
  3. Contacting any dean or faculty member.
Any faculty member, administrator, and manager who knows or has reason to believe that a violation of this policy has occurred has an obligation to report the matter to the Associate Dean for Admission & Student Affairs, whether or not the victim has complained.

The details of John Marshall's Protection from Discrimination and Harassment Policy are in the Student Handbook.

Complaints to the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association

The John Marshall Law School is accredited by the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association. Any student with complaints, questions, or concerns that directly implicate the law school’s compliance with the ABA’s Accreditation Standards can file a complaint using the Student Complaints – Compliance with ABA Accreditation Standards Form. Your complaint must identify the specific ABA Accreditation Standard at issue. The ABA standards can be reviewed online. Your complaint should describe in detail the behavior, program, process, or other matter that is the subject of your complaint.

The details on how to file complaints regarding the ABA Accreditation Standards are contained in the Student Handbook.

Complaints to The Higher Learning Commission

The John Marshall Law School is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. The Higher Learning Commission has established a clear distinction between individual grievances and complaints that appear to involve broad institutional practices. Where a complaint to the HLC raises issues regarding the institution’s ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation, the Commission forwards the complaint to the institution and requests a formal response.

The Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411

Complaint Procedure for Online Students

Illinois is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), an agreement that establishes standards for postsecondary distance education among member states. Each SARA state designates a state agency to serve as the state’s portal agency, the point of contact for SARA questions, complaints and other communications. The Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) acts as the SARA portal agency for Illinois.

As a participant in SARA, The John Marshall Law School follows the SARA Student Complaint Resolution Process in addressing the complaints of distance education students from SARA member states (see below). If unsatisfied with the outcome of the law school’s internal complaint process, a student may appeal to the IBHE through its online complaint system. Disputes regarding grades and student conduct violations fall outside the SARA complaint process and are governed entirely by the law school’s policy and Illinois law.

SARA Member States: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Distance education students from states that are not members of SARA are encouraged to seek resolution of complaints through the law school’s internal complaint processes. For unresolved complaints, they should contact their home states’ agencies:

California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
PO Box 980818
W. Sacramento, CA 95798-0818

Florida Department of Education
Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place, Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108