Information Technology Services
Virtual Private Networking (VPN)
This page will assist you with using a VPN connection to connect to the JMLS network. A VPN connection is virtual and secure connection to the John Marshall Law School network. Once connected, your computer can perform tasks just as if it was connected directly at the law school.
To connect however, you will need to download specific software on your computer to initiate your initial connection.
In this guide you will:
- Download the Sonicwall client
- Install the Sonicwall Client
- Create a JMLS VPN Connection
- Establish a VPN Connection
- Establish a Remote Desktop Connection
Download the Sonic Wall Client
- Please click on the following link for your computer:
- 32-bit Windows (Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7)
- 64-bit Windows (Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7)
- Save the zipped file locally on your computer
Install the Sonic Wall Client
- Locate the file you downloaded in step 1. Double click the file and click Run. The installation will begin
- Click Next to begin the installation
- Click I Agree and then click Next
- Click Next to install the program in its default location
- Click Next to confirm the installation
- The VPN software installation will begin
- You will be prompted when the software installs successfully. Click Start SonicWALL Global VPN Client when the installer finishes. Then click Close
Create a JMLS VPN Connection
Follow the instructions below to create a VPN connection to the JMLS network
If the program did not launch automatically, then go to Start > All Programs > SonicWALL Global VPN Client. When the program opens click File > New Connection
Click Next to continue
- Click Remote Access then click Next
Enter the following information below. Then click Next
IP Address or Domain Name: 188.8.131.52
Connection Name: JMLS
- Select Create a Desktop Shortcut for This Connection. Then click Finish
Establish a VPN Connection
Double click on JMLS.
You may also reach this step by clicking on Start > All Programs > SonicWALL Global VPN Client
- The software will prompt you for a Pre-shared Key. The key will be provided to you by email or by calling the ITS Help Desk. Enter the Pre-shared key in the box below then click OK.
Enter your JMLS username and password when prompted
Establish a Remote Desktop Connection
- On your computer click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Remote Desktop Connection
- Enter your computer name (or IP address) in the box above. This information will be provided to you by email or by calling the ITS Help Desk.
- Click Connect.
- You will now be connected to your office computer.