The Center for Tax Law & Employee Benefits
LLM in Estate Planning
Our LLM in Estate Planning is designed for lawyers interested in developing an expertise in the estate planning arena. The program is available entirely online. This will enable students to tailor their academic schedules consistent with their other obligations, and conveniently participate in the program at home, the office, or even while commuting.
The degree provides lawyers the opportunity to become practice-ready in the estate planning arena. Courses will be taught by law professors and practicing estate planners so that students will develop both a firm theoretical foundation in the subject as well as a thorough understanding of how to apply what they have learned. Program graduates will be prepared for a variety of different career options, including but not limited to, work in law firms, wealth management concerns, financial planning groups, trust departments, insurance companies, and fund-raising divisions of universities and other non-profit organizations.
Learn more about the online experience at eDegrees distance education.
LLM in Estate Planning candidates must complete 24 credit hours in order to earn their degree. In addition to required courses, candidates will select elective courses in order to tailor their degree to their specific interests.
Due to the diversity of courses offered and flexibility of eCourses distance education, degree candidates interested in pursuing the LLM in Estate Planning should consult with the Center to plan a specific degree program tailored to their needs.
- » Estate Planning I (EPL 411, 2 Credits)
- » Estate Planning II (EPL 412, 2 Credits)
- » Wealth Transfer Taxation I (EPL 414, 2 Credits)
- » Wealth Transfer Taxation II (EPL 415, 1 Credits)
- » Estates & Trusts Admin & Post-Mortem (EPL 417, 2 Credits)
- » Income Taxation of Estates and Trusts (EPL 418, 2 Credits)
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.
- » Survey of Estates and Trusts (EPL 405, 2 Credits)
- » Survey of Federal Income Tax (EPL 406, 2 Credits)
- » Fiduciary Duties (EPL 420, 1 Credit)
- » Valuation Issues in Estate Planning (EPL 422, 1 Credit)
- » Ethical Issues in Estate Planning (EPL 424, 1 Credit)
- » State Inheritance and Estate Taxation (EPL 426, 1 Credits)
- » Charitable Contributions (EPL 430, 2 Credits)
- » Personal Financial Planning (EPL 435, 2 Credits)
- » Estate Planning With Insurance Products (EPL 436, 1 Credit)
- » Asset Protection Planning (EPL 437, 2 Credits)
- » Estate Planning With Retirement Plans (EPL 438, 2 Credits)
- » Closely Held Businesses: Taxation & Succession Planning (EPL 440, 2 Credits)
- » Estate Planning for Multinational Clients (EPL 450, 1 Credit)
- » Estate Planning for Elderly or Disabled (EPL 451, 1 Credit)
- » Estate Planning for Young, Married Couples (EPL 452, 1 Credit)
- » Estate Planning for Unmarried Couples (EPL 453, 1 Credit)
- » Graduate Seminar in Estate Planning (EPL 490, 1-2 Credits)