The Center for Intellectual Property Law
LLM in Intellectual Property Law
With new technologies and social practices giving rise to new intellectual property issues, leading-edge training in IP law and related practice techniques is necessary to keep up and advance in the fast-moving, competitive world of intellectual property. Our LLM in Intellectual Property Law gives you the competitive advantage you need to excel in practice. Learn substantive law and practical skills from some of the nation's top IP academics, judges, and practitioners.
LLM in Intellectual Property Law candidates choose The John Marshall Law School for its extensive curriculum offerings, including numerous patent law courses. The LLM program offers two degree tracks: a patent track for candidates with technical backgrounds who wish to specialize in patent practice and a general IP track for candidates who wish to gain in-depth knowledge about the full range of IP laws and developments.
Degree candidates can also earn their LLM in Intellectual Property Law online through eDegrees distance education.
LLM in Intellectual Property Law candidates must complete 24 credit hours in order to earn their degree. In addition to required courses, you will select elective courses specific to your areas of interest. Degree candidates must graduate with a GPA of 2.5 or better.
Our program attracts recent law graduates and practicing attorneys who desire a better understanding of the complex and ever-changing practice of intellectual property law. To accommodate the diverse needs and experiences of degree candidates, the program may be pursued full-time and completed over two semesters or completed part-time in less than five years.
Due to the diversity of courses offered, degree candidates interested in pursuing the LLM in Intellectual Property Law should consult with the Center to plan a specific degree program tailored to their needs.
- » Law of Patents (IP 415, 2 Credits)* General IP Track
- » Substantive Patent Law I (IP 400, 3 Credits)* Patent Law Track
- » Copyright Law & Practice (IP 406, 3 Credits)
- » Trademark Law & Practice (IP 403, 3 Credits)
*Candidates are required to take only one of these courses.
- » Accelerated Trial Advocacy for IP Attorneys (IP 430, 3 Credits)
- » Administrative IP Protection at the U.S. Border (IP 480, 2 Credits)
- » Advertising Law (IP 417, 2 Credits)
- » Antitrust & Misuse Aspects (IP 411, 3 Credits)
- » Art Law (IP 425, 1 Credit)
- » Bankruptcy & IP (IP 460, 1 Credit)
- » Biotechnology Patent Law (IP 464, 3 Credits)
- » Business Franchise Law & Practice (IP 418, 2 Credits)
- » Comparative & International Patent Law (IP 494, 3 Credits)
- » Comparative Topics on the Law of Innovation in China & the U.S. (IP 490, 2 Credits)
- » Contemporary Technology & IP Law (IP 421, 3 Credits)
- » Copyright Litigation (IP 427, 1 Credit)
- » Cultural Property & Museum Law (IP 446, 2 Credits)
- » Entertainment Law (IP 419, 2 Credits)
- » Financing the Development of IP (IP 461, 1 Credit)
- » Gaming Law (IP 444, 2 Credits)
- » Interference, Reissue & Reexamination Practice (IP 405, 3 Credits)
- » International Antitrust Issues (IP 416, 1 Credit)
- » International Copyright Law (IP 455, 1 Credit)
- » International Trademark Law (IP 414, 2 Credits)
- » IP in Business Organizations (IP 470, 2 Credits)
- » IP Licensing (IP 407, 3 Credits)
- » Legal Writing for IP (IP 428, 2 Credits)
- » Master Class (IP 429, 1 Credit)*
- » Music Licensing (IP 436, 1 Credit)
- » Advanced Patent Application Preparation (IP 445, 2 Credits)
- » Patent Claim Drafting (IP 465, 2 Credits)
- » Advanced Patent Clinic (IP 439, 2 Credits)
- » Patent Law: Statutory & Regulatory Fundamentals (IP 449, 2 Credits)
- » Patent Litigation (IP 408, 2 Credits)
- » Patent Office Practice (IP 402, 3 Credits)
- » Protection of Computer Software Inventions (IP 451, 2 Credits)
- » Pricing Regulation (IP 410, 2 Credits)
- » Publishing Law (IP 443, 1 Credit)
- » Right of Publicity & Protection of Personality (IP 423, 3 Credits)
- » Sports Law (IP 426, 2 Credits)
- » Substantive Patent Law II (IP 401, 3 Credits)
- » Trade Secrets Law (IP 440, 3 Credits)
- » Trade Secrets Litigation (IP 441, 2 Credits)
- » Trademark Litigation (IP 409, 2 Credits)
- » Trademark Transactions (IP 424, 2 Credits)
- » Transnational Enforcement of IP Rights (IP 450, 3 Credits)
- » Taxation of IP (IP 412, 1 Credit)
- » Unfair Competition & the ITC (IP 422, 2 Credits)
*Master classes are offered on a variety of advanced IP topics.
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.