The Center for Intellectual Property, Information & Privacy Law
MS in Information Technology & Privacy Law
Technology and privacy issues affect nearly every aspect of our lives, and knowing the law and underlying policies is crucial to employability in our technology-driven world. Our MS in Information Technology and Privacy Law provides non-attorney business professionals and policy makers with a command of the legal and policy issues shaping the global information marketplace. We remain the only graduate law program in the country that emphasizes privacy as part of its core curriculum.
Select courses are available online through eDegrees distance education.
MS in Information Technology and Privacy Law candidates must complete 24 credit hours in order to earn their degree. In addition to required courses, you will select elective courses specific to your areas of interest.
Our program attracts recent law graduates and practicing attorneys who desire a better understanding of information technology and privacy law. To accommodate the diverse needs and experiences of degree candidates, the program may be pursued full-time and completed over two semesters or completed part-time in less than five years.
Due to the diversity of courses offered, degree candidates interested in pursuing the MS in Information Technology and Privacy Law should consult with the Center to plan a specific degree program tailored to their needs.
- » Substantive Law Overview (ITP 800, 2 Credits)
- » Introduction to Legal Analysis (ITP 805, 1 Credit)
- » Information Law, Policy, & Privacy (ITP 801, 3 Credits)
- » Technology & the Law (ITP 803, 2 Credits)
- » Cyberspace Law (ITP 808, 3 Credits)
- » Intellectual Property in a Digital Environment (ITP 878, 3 Credits)*
- » Copyright Law & Practice (IP 406, 3 Credits)*
*Candidates are required to take only one of these courses.
- » Computer Crime, Information Warfare, & Economic Espionage (ITP 848, 2 Credits)
- » Contemporary Problems in IT Law (ITP 820, 3 Credits)
- » Current Topics in Information Technology & Privacy Law (ITP 880, 881; 1-2 Credits)
- » E-discovery, Digital Evidence & Computer Forensics (ITP 870, 2 Credits)
- » Electronic Commerce Law (ITP 830, 2 Credits)
- » Ethics of Practicing Law in a Digital World (ITP 812, 2 Credits)
- » Free Speech in Cyberspace (ITP 841, 2 Credits)
- » Global Privacy Law (ITP 855, 2 Credits)
- » Health Information Privacy (ITP 821, 2 Credits)
- » Independent Research in Information Technology & Privacy Law (ITP 897, 1-3 Credits)
- » IT Drafting: Information Technology Law/Representing the Technology Client (ITP 861, 2 Credits)
- » Journal of Computer & Information Law (ITP 818, 1 Credit)
- » Practicum in Information Technology and Privacy Law (ITP 893, 1-3 Credits)
- » Privacy Rights (ITP 845, 2 Credits)
- » Regulation of Health Information Privacy (ITP 822, 2 Credits)
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.