The Center for Intellectual Property, Information & Privacy Law
JD/LLM in Intellectual Property Law
John Marshall's nationally ranked Intellectual Property Law program gives JD candidates interested in intellectual property law the opportunity to save time and money by concurrently earning their JD and LLM degrees. Learn substantive law and practical skills from some of the nation's top IP professors and practitioners. Joint degree candidates acquire the same advanced distinction and enhanced employability that attracts practicing attorneys and non-attorney professionals from around the world to our Graduate Intellectual Property Law Programs.
Joint JD/LLM in Intellectual Property Law candidates may apply the first 10 credits satisfactorily completed in the LLM program to the electives requirements of the JD. Most degree candidate will be able to complete the requirements of the joint program with 104 credits (80 JD + 24 LLM) instead of the 114 credits required if the programs are completed separately. Students unable to complete the joint degree must still complete a total of 90 hours to be awarded the JD degree.
Due to the diversity of courses offered, degree candidates interested in pursuing the JD/LLM in Intellectual Property Law should consult with the Center to plan a specific degree program tailored to their needs.
- Law of Patents (IP 415, 2 Credits)* General IP Track
- Substantive Patent Law (IP 400, 3 Credits)* Patent Law Track
- Trademark Law & Practice (IP 403, 3 Credits)
- Copyright Law & Practice (IP 406, 3 Credits)
*Candidates are required to take only one of these courses.
- Accelerated Trial Advocacy for IP Attorneys (IP 430, 3 Credits)
- Advanced Patent Clinic (IP 439, 2 Credits)
- Advertising Law (IP 417, 2 Credits)
- Antitrust & Misuse Aspects (IP 411, 3 Credits)
- Art Law (IP 425, 1 Credit)
- Bankruptcy & IP (IP 460, 1 Credit)
- Biotechnology Patent Law (IP 464, 3 Credits)
- Business Franchise Law & Practice (IP 418, 2 Credits)
- Comparative & International Patent Law (IP 494, 3 Credits)
- Copyright Litigation (IP 427, 1 Credit)
- Cultural Property & Museum Law (IP 446, 2 Credits)
- Entertainment Law (IP 419, 2 Credits)
- International Copyright Law (IP 455, 1 Credit)
- International Trademark Law (IP 414, 2 Credits)
- IP in Business Organizations (IP 470, 2 Credits)
- IP Licensing (IP 407, 3 Credits)
- Legal Writing for IP (IP 428, 2 Credits)
- Master Class (IP 429, 1 Credit)*
- Music Licensing (IP 436, 1 Credit)
- Patent Claim Drafting (IP 465, 2 Credits)
- Patent Law: Statutory & Regulatory Fundamentals (IP 449, 2 Credits)
- Patent Office Practice (IP 402, 3 Credits)
- Protection of Computer Software Inventions (IP 451, 2 Credits)
- Publishing Law (IP 443, 1 Credit)
- Right of Publicity & Protection of Personality (IP 423, 3 Credits)
- Sports Law (IP 426, 2 Credits)
- Substantive Patent Law I (IP 400, 3 Credits)
- Substantive Patent Law II (IP 401, 3 Credits)
- Trade Secrets Law (IP 440, 3 Credits)
- Trademark Litigation (IP 409, 2 Credits)
- Transnational Enforcement of IP Rights (IP 450, 3 Credits)
*Master classes are offered on a variety of advanced IP topics.
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.