The Center for International Law
LLM in International Business & Trade Law
Position yourself for a successful international legal career with our LLM in International Business & Trade Law. Optimized to provide degree candidates with a solid foundation in the rules, regulations, and legal approaches underlying international business and trade law, our LLM program offers enhanced marketability by building on Chicago's legal, business, and trade resources.
Our curriculum combines coursework, skills training, and research developed to meet the needs of a changing world and marketplace. Courses are taught by leading U.S. academics and international and trade law practitioners who have international practices and who know the cutting-edge issues involved in trade, investment, and regulation.
LLM in International Business & Trade Law candidates must complete 24 credit hours in order to earn their degree. In addition to required courses, candidates will select elective courses to fulfill their degree requirements. Degree candidates must graduate within five years with a 2.5 GPA or higher.
Degree candidates pursuing the LLM in International Business and Trade Law should consult with the Center to plan a specific degree program tailored to their needs.
- » Multinational Corporations Law (IBT 730, 3 Credits)*
- » International Trade Remedies Law (IBT 705, 3 Credits)*
- » U.S. Customs & Import Law (IBT 700, 2 Credits)*
*Candidates are required to take only one of these courses. If U.S. Customs and Import Law is taken, the candidate must take an additional one-credit course in trade law.
- » Administrative Law (IBT 703/JD 250, 3 Credits)
- » Admiralty Law (IBT 712, 2 Credits)
- » Advanced Legal Research: International Law (IBT 790/JD 058, 1 Credit)
- » Aviation Law (IBT 747/JD 253, 2 Credits)
- » Business Aspects of Immigration Law (IBT 725, 2 Credits)
- » Current Issues in International Business & Trade (IBT 751, 1-3 Credits)
- » Derivatives Law (IBT 777/JD 777, 2 Credits)
- » Drafting International Business Arrangements (IBT 733, 2 Credits)
- » European Union Business & Investment Law (IBT 760, 2-3 Credits)
- » The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (IBT 727, 1 Credit)
- » Foreign Investment Law (IBT 740, 2 Credits)
- » Homeland Security (IBT 717, 2 Credits)
- » IBT Externship (IBT 763, 1 Credit)
- » Independent Research (IBT 791, 1-3 Credits)
- » International Antitrust Law (IBT 744, 1-2 Credits)
- » International Banking & Finance Law (IBT 735, 2 Credits)
- » International Business Transactions (IBT 716/JD 190, 3 Credits)
- » International Commercial Dispute Resolution (IBT 720/JD 198, 2 Credits)
- » International Corporate Compliance: Complying with the Anti-Bribery Conventions (IBT 729, 2 Credits)
- » International Economic Development Law (IBT 770, 2 Credits)
- » International Employment Law (IBT 789, 1-2 Credits)
- » International Joint Ventures (IBT 714, 2 Credits)
- » International Sales & Carriage of Goods (IBT 709, 1-2 Credits)
- » International Secured Transactions (IBT 710, 1 Credit)
- » International Trade Law (IBT 702/JD 084, 3 Credits)
- » Law and Practice before the U.S. Court of International Trade (IBT 706, I Credit)
- » Legal Ethics in International Practice (IBT 749, 1-2 Credits)
- » Masters Class (IBT 799, 1 Credits)**
- » Practicum in IBT Law (IBT 795, 1-4 Credits)
- » U.S. Export Law (IBT 750, 1-2 Credits)
- » U.S. Free Trade Agreements (IBT 766, 2-3 Credits)
**Candidates may earn credit for each section of the Masters Class they complete.
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.